Friday, August 29, 2008

Am I on the right track ?

Do you think it is essential to check in each step whether we are on the right track or not?

Yes,of course.

At certain points, it is necessary to analyze the status that whether we are on the right track or not for something that we develope or trying to make it happen. It may be software development or studying or taking medication or a diet program or cooking a special curry or anything else.

You know sometimes we put so much effort on what we focus but without analyzing, we cannot say that what we are doing now will be effective. Sometimes our effort may be wasteful :(

I got a remark earlier from my lead when I was working in Osaka, "To give her her due, she did her best but it did not meet my expectations". Yeah, it was bitter but it was the truth at that time.

One of my Myanmar friend, who helped me in debugging the program, explained me that you were hard-working but you know ..you did the same debugging again and again on the same place of source code that you already knew and saw the error which cannot pull you out from this situation without analyzing and changing.

Yeah, he was totally right. He has more experience than me and it lightened on the dark side of my knowledge.

I learnt that

1. Never be afraid of a change to test if it is still pending at the same situation.
2. Proceed to implement with your analysis and knowledge.
3. Don't hesitate to ask others who got more experience rather than you.
4. Not to be stubborn to take your team's advice and opinion but decide as your own.
5. Make a percentage of completion daily or weekly.
6. Taking a move now will help to get everybody's attention. So we all can help and solve it out in time.

I took it as a good lesson and try to analyze step by step whether it is the root cause or not whenever I face the issues. If I am sure this is not the cause for the problem, I don't seat on it further and move to the next to check.

I am still hard-working, but I'll never forget checking the status of all items on my plate. I assume that finding out about the issue in detail is very important. If I don't know how to solve it, I will look for a solution on the internet. Make sure that there is no other bad consequences because of my change. Else, I need to discuss with Team Lead. If I am doing without care, I look like the one who pouring water onto a plastic plant everyday with the hope of flowers blooming. But I am always the last to do the change till last minute because I am scared of the change. This habit faded away from me gradually after 2 years I worked alone at my current job as only one Myanmar.

No comments:

Post a Comment